Welcome Service for Foreign Students

Jon Ongkiehong

Every year from September until November, a welcome service for foreign students, run with the support of City of Paris, is held at the Cité internationale universitaire de Paris. 

► Welcome, information and support
The unit is staffed by acc&ss Paris Centre and a multi-lingual team of French and foreign students. The team will help you answer the various questions linked to your mobility, including finding accommodation, administrative procedures, work regulations, learning French and leisure activities. They will then guide you to the public services on site that will start processing your claims on-the-spot.

► Health check/ visa de long séjour valant titre de séjour
A branch of the Office Français de l’immigration et de l’intégration (OFII) will be present. Its role is to set up appointments for newly arrived Paris-based students (in France on the “Long stay visa qualifying for a residency permit” Ref: R311-3 6° of the CESEDA) to attend an health check for non-European citizens and/or an interview for the visa validation. This mandatory administrative procedure must be carried out as soon as possible (within 3 months after arriving in France).

► Residence permit
Officers from the Préfecture de Police de Paris will be on site to process claims from students residing in Paris only for:
> Initial student permit (usually the case for Algerian students),
> The renewal of the student permit (Cité internationale residents only).

► Financial housing assistance
The Caisse d’Allocations Familiales (CAF) offers an on-site service allowing a faster processing of your application for this financial assistance. You can make your claim online through computer terminals linked to the CAF Internet website and print off the forms you have filled in. Two CAF officers are there to guide you through the process.

► Work regulation
A representative from the Office of Foreign Workers – Direction du Travail (DIRECCTE) – will be there to advise on regulation regarding working student and on the steps to take if you want to change your status from student to employee.

► Health Insurance
The staff from La Mutuelle des Etudiants (LMDE) and the Société Mutualiste des Etudiants de la Région Parisienne (SMEREP) inform on health care and complementary cover, refunding medical costs, applying for a health card (Carte vitale) or declaring a attending physician. In 2014, officers from the CPAM will answer questions from students who cannot benefit from the regular student health care (social security). 

► Transport
A member of the RATP is on site to inform and advise students on buying tickets or travel cards.