The first house in the Cité internationale
The Deutsch de la Meurthe Foundation was the result of a private initiative by the wealthy entrepreneur Émile Deutsch de la Meurthe, and it was the first building constructed in the Cité internationale. Émile Deutsch de la Meurthe–who with his brother Henry had founded the company Pétroles Jupiter, which would later become the petroleum giant Shell–came from a family with a tradition of patronage and charitable works; he and his wife Louise financed the seven buildings that make up the Foundation.
A historic monument
Construction began in May 1923, and the doors opened in the spring of 1925. Architect Lucien Bechmann drew his inspiration from English colleges such as Oxford. In 1998, the roofs, gardens and paving stone terraces, along with the entry hall and the great room in the central building were listed on the registry of historic monuments.
Renovations on the Deutsch de la Meurthe Foundation were begun in 2005 in order to make the buildings more comfortable and bring them up to 21st century standards. We can see already from the buildings that have been renovated that the greatest care will be taken to restore the exteriors and the roofs as well as the rooms.